Unlocking Opportunities: a Guide for Learning & Development and HR Professionals discovering who can buy from G-Cloud and understanding its functionality
People Alchemy have been suppliers on the Digital Marketplace (G-Cloud) for over 10 years. Recently somebody pointed out that this might not mean much to the Learning & Development professionals we speak with. So, here’s what it is and what this means to your colleagues in procurement when you decide to buy our SaaS Learning Workflow Platform or off-the-shelf manager and supervisor pathways from us. Let’s dive straight in…
The UK government’s Digital Marketplace, commonly known as G-Cloud, is transforming the way public sector organisations procure digital services and solutions. As Learning & Development and HR professionals, understanding the basics of G-Cloud can unlock a wealth of opportunities for enhancing your organisation’s digital capabilities.
What is G-Cloud?
G-Cloud is an online platform that provides a streamlined procurement process for public sector organisations in the UK. Launched in 2012, it was designed to simplify the procurement of cloud computing services and digital solutions for government agencies, local authorities, and other public sector entities. G-Cloud acts as a centralised marketplace, connecting buyers with approved suppliers who offer a wide range of services, including cloud hosting, software development, cybersecurity, and more.
Who can buy from G-Cloud?
The Digital Marketplace is open to a diverse range of potential buyers:
- Government Departments and Agencies: National and local government bodies, such as ministries, departments, and agencies, can procure services to meet their specific operational requirements.
- NHS and Healthcare Organisations: The National Health Service (NHS) and affiliated healthcare organisations can access innovative digital solutions that optimise patient care, data management, and administrative processes.
- Local Authorities: County councils, boroughs etc can source technology services to improve service delivery and drive local innovation.
- Educational Institutions: Schools, colleges, and universities can acquire learning technology, learning management systems, and other digital tools.
- Charities and Non-Profit Organisations: Charitable organisations working closely with the public sector can obtain cost-effective IT solutions and services, enabling them to deliver their social missions more efficiently.
How does G-Cloud work?
Here’s a simplified breakdown of the procurement process on G-Cloud:
Write a list of requirements: Working with someone who will use the service, buying specialists and technical experts, prepare a list of ‘must-haves’ and ‘wants’. These requirements will help you decide which search category, keywords, and filters to use.
Keep an audit trail: An audit trail is a record of what you do when you buy cloud services on the Digital Marketplace. If you award a contract through the G-Cloud framework, you must be able to show that your assessment of services was fair and transparent.
How to buy – a step-by-step guide: When you have written your requirements, use the Digital Marketplace to search for cloud services, save details of your search and download a copy of your search results.
For more details, visit.
Benefits of buying through the Digital Marketplace
Understanding the fundamentals of G-Cloud empowers Learning & Development and HR professionals to take advantage of the digital marketplace. There are various benefits but here are the big ones:
- Sellers have been through a rigorous process to be awarded supplier status.
- Buying services through frameworks saves the often-cumbersome tendering process and is therefore faster and cheaper than entering into individual procurement contracts.
For further information on how we can assist your organisation in leveraging G-Cloud for our transformative learning solutions, please contact us directly.